Guest post – The Melbourne 10k

Good friend of Alex Kyprianou ran the Melbourne 10k this weekend in one of our t-shirts – a stirling effort. Here’s his account of the day. We heartily recommend his excellent blog

There’s a new kid in town: or the king is dead (dying) – long live the king!

My tenure as fastest person in my household is about as stable as the Australian and British governments combined. No preference votes here only cold hard facts (or times)

Melbourne Marathon day today and I ran the 10k and my 8-year-old son ran his first ever race – 2.5k.

My average minutes per k = 5:16
Harry’s = 5:21

Alex, Harry and the MCG. Harry's the fast one on the left

I can make all the excuses under the sun about my preparation or the fact I ran four times his distance, but the reality is, he’s only 5 seconds per k behind me – remind yourself – he’s still only 8!

This is my account of the day:

Got up at 5:30am – banana and a fenac (thigh still a little uncomfortable). Due to a poor preparation I was hoping to break an hour and would be over the moon with a sub 55 minute.

Andrew kindly offered to pick me up and take me into town for the race. Right on time – well 10 minutes early actually, but we are both stickler’s for punctuality, so no problem there.

Arrived at the start 45 minutes early but in time to watch the 42kers head off. We had a few stretches and small runs to get us warmed up. Andrew was hoping for a sub 50 and we agreed to run our own races.

It’s 7:30am and a perfect 19c – for running – although by midday it’s up around 25c – couldn’t ask for more.

The course starts next to Rod Laver arena on the right –the venue for the Australian Open Tennis – One of the Grand Slams and the Yarra River (Jim Courier used to dive in here after he won the AU Open Tennis – twice if I recall) on the left.

We then head up to the iconic Flinders Street Station and the famous “clocks” meeting place – although there’s no time to stop – we’re only a k in. We then head to the NGV (National Gallery of Victoria) and then through the greenery that border the Botanical Gardens.

We then head North up St Kilda Road towards the MCG (Boxing Day Test match and AFL Grand Final Venue) – It’s a fairly long and steep incline before we hit the “G” and a ¾ lap of the boundary sees us home.

The start:
The gun goes off and it’s a crawl for about 300m and we have to weave in and out of the slower runners. By the time the first k had come Andrew was 50m in front of me and traveling well. I was settling into a nice rhythm also, but at a lesser speed.
By the 3k mark, Andrew was nowhere to be seen and I’d just completed it in 14:47, so he must have been motoring. At the 6k I had delusions of breaking 50 minutes for 10k as I’d just broken 30 minutes.

At the 7k my lack of preparation hit me and I slowed to 5:45 for the next 2k and life was decidedly uncomfortable. Had a couple of stoppages to take photo’s and soldiered on.

Two people commented on my T shirt as they overtook me ( the rear says: “3 miles every day for a year” – James Ellis sent me it to me from the UK) I think they thought it was me who did it – I didn’t alter their perception! Well-done James – (completed the year last month)

About the 9k mark I saw Andrew again, but he was travelling west on Brunton Avenue and I east -probably about 800m apart. Onto the MCG and I was spent, I usually pride myself with a bit of a kick in the home straight – but I had nothing. Crossed in 53:22 and am very happy with my time. Andrew’s was a magnificent sub 50 minute – well done mate – one day we’ll run side by side in that time or less.

At the finish:

We then had a couple of coffees with Cilla, one of Andrew’s friends who’d also completed the 10k – she’s a doctor and gave me the exact same synopsis for my thigh as my doctor and gave me some other advice, which I should heed – god bless her! Thanks Cilla, great to meet you.

Next cab off the rank was Harry, Michelle bought him in around 10:30am for his 2.5k at 11:30. Decked out in his new skins, he looked the picture and seemed to have a calmness that belied his years – this after all was his first race.

Gave him the Garmin and bolted off from the Tennis Centre to the MCG to meet him – that’s a fairly stiff walk. Couldn’t see him arrive on the G or at the finishing line, but caught him as he came up the steps of the Ponsford stand to collect his medal.

13:23 for 2.5k’s – WOW – I am so proud of him

Comments are closed.